Thursday, January 17, 2013

We Need Love


 Here's a little thing I wrote today. Wrote it for my tumblr bliggity-blog, but tumblr won't let me post. So I'm putting it here for now. :)
______________________________

             Okey dokey. I’m going to try and put a few of my well-organized, carefully dwelled-upon thoughts down. This usually results in scattered ideas and mass confusion. Writing is not something that comes naturally to me. But here goes!

“Some people are so poor, all they have is money.”
Let that sink in for a minute.

I found this quote on Pinterest. Yes, I’m a Pinterest person! :P I have no clue who said it, and I take no credit for it. It really slapped me hard though. It brought to mind a song by Holly Starr called Don’t Have Love (super awesome, catchy song!). The chorus is as follows:

You can have money,
And cool friends, 
            A ring on your left hand,
But it’s never gonna be enough if you don’t have love.
You can have a fast car,
A mansion,
And everyone’s attention,
But it’s never gonna be enough if you don’t have love.

This is so true. No matter what you fill your life with- or let consume your life-, it will never be enough. God is love. God is the only thing that will ever make us whole. He is the only thing that will ever give us meaning.

Matthew 16:26 points this out:
“What good will it be for a man if he gains the world, yet forfeits his soul?”

In other words: what do we have if we gain everything we want, but lose our soul? Things of the world are fleeting. They won’t last forever. Which reminds me of another song- one of my all time favorites- Things Of This World, by dctalk.

             Things of this world,

             Are passing away,
Here tomorrow,
But they’re sure not here to stay.

Sorry. Gotta take a fangirl moment here. Dctalk is the basis for comparison in my music world. :P

Back to the point though: We cannot allow ourselves to be consumed with the things of this world. Focus on love. Love is the greatest gift we will ever receive. 1 Corinthians 13:13 says:
“Three things will last forever- faith, hope, and love- and the greatest of these is love.”

No matter what the world piles on top of you, let love be what people notice about you first.

As kind of a closing word, here’s some of the lyrics to tobymac’s song Lose My Soul:

            Father God, I am clay in your hands,
            Help me to stay that way through all life's demands,
            'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me,
            And every little thing I make up my mind to be,
            Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix,
            And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit,
            And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above,
            The road that is wide and filled with self love,
            Everything that I see draws me,
            Though it's only in You that I can truly see,
That its a feast for the eyes- a low blow to purpose,
And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus.

I don't wanna gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.
I don't wanna gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.

The last bit of Lose My Soul:

           Lord forgive us when we get consumed by the things of this world,
           That fight for our love, and our passion,
           As our eyes are open wide and on you.
           Grant us the privilege of your worldview,
           And may your kingdom be, what wakes us up, and lays us down.

           Let’s live this ya’ll. Let’s focus on love.

No comments:

Post a Comment