Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tulsa

Last Monday, Mrs. Wilson said she would be home, and that if I wanted to, she would help me with Tulsa.

She helped me lunge (sp? I don't remember the proper to spell or pronounce that, and I'm too tired to care right now. x)) him, which was really confusing! Instead of leading, you have to get behind his shoulder and pull his head over.....wierd.

But anyway, I got on him and rode him for a good 45 minutes to an hour. Mrs. Wilson had me do a lot of trot work- I couldn't believe I rode as long and as well as I did. I haven't ridden since I busted my thumb the day Buster left. Tulsa has a nice trot. He's fairly consistent, and he can do a nice, slow western jog. Here's what I learned about him:

He's an Appendix Quarter Horse.
He's 19 years old.
He was originally used as a hunter, and then as a trail horse.
I'm almost positive he's a right-brained introvert...a very chill RBI.

I was able to do some neck-reining with him, and I even got to canter him in the front pasture- with 3 other horses running loose. And he never cared! That was nice!

I love my Red. I always will. But man, it was nice to get on a horse that was consistent and really paying attention. He doesn't quite the cleverness of Red...but I think I'll probably end up taking him, if I can get things worked out. Right now the problem is school. School keeps me from riding. If I don't ride at least 3 times a week, then I don't get a horse, according to June and Mrs. Wilson. I don't have a problem with that. That's an excellent, needed rule.

I just have to find a way to get over there 3 times a week to ride and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment