Saturday, January 7, 2012

Yesterday's Ride

We did about an hour yesterday. We played for about 15 minutes. I didn't worry about the audition outline, I just worked on some things we were having trouble with. We did:

Yoyo over a pole- he did much better. I used Ralph Moses' advice and went to phase 4 really quickly a few times. Buster knows what he's supposed to do, he just didn't think I would actually go to phase 4 (when you ask a horse to do something, ie: back up, there are phases. phase one is wiggling your finger with the rope in your hand, phase two is wiggling your wrist, phase three is wiggling at your elbow, and phase four is wiggling at your shoulder.) I could see it in his eyes....he was doing the little "nanner, nanner, boo boo, you won't do it!" thing. So I did. It only took a few times. Now he knows I'll do it, and he's much more consistent. He even backed off of my finger ONCE!! :D

Circles- I kept him at a walk again. He did really well! The middle of the rope was even dragging on the ground, which is unheard of for Buster! I asked for a trot using just my energy, and moved right into it. He would do about half a circle really well, and then he would start getting antsy. But still, that's improvement! Cooper came over and started feeding off of the energy....I ended up putting him in a stall for a while so I could finish with Buster.

Porcupine, leading by the front legs- Buster is doing wonderfully well for only doing this for two days. Instead of just lifting his leg and pawing, he actually took a few steps towards me today, and then he really sat there and thought about it. Yes!!!

We got up and rode well into dark. We have floodlights on the back of the barn now and they light up the arena so well! It;s really nice! I worked on more trot to back up. I can't believe how well is yoyo is doing on his back! I don't know when that happened. x)

All in all, a good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment